Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Post 3





Technology in the classroom helps students participate who are otherwise non verbal or have a physical problem. The teacher in the video says that technology has changed the way that she teaches and how her classroom functions. Without technology life can be difficult for teachers and students. Students are able to use an  I pod touch to aid them is silent reading time and it allows them to be more independent. Students who are non verbal are using computers to help them to communicate. Computers make special needs childrens assignments a little easier. It also sparks the children’s interests and makes them eager to learn.  I for one loved this video it makes me smile to see how these children were able to communicate through technology. They were so proud and so was there teacher!

After watching the video How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism I decided to do a little research on my own into some different iPad apps that may work well in the classroom. I really liked Alphabet Animals. It is an educational and fun app that is used to help with vision, speech and can also be used if the child has limited reaching ability. The app has great sounds and animations that will keep the children interested. It is used for teaching letters of the alphabet. I see how much all children benefit through the use of technology. The iPad improves learning as it  allows special needs children to be able to work on there own with out the use of an aid.

 After checking out Gary Hayes Social Media Count  I was astounded. The amount of time that people all over the world are spending using some form of technology is amazing. I know that we live in a technological world but to actually see for yourself the numbers is very eye opening. I think that technology is great! It helps us every day in almost everything that we do. My children both were taught to start working on a computer in 3K. They are six and four and can navigate an iPad or iPhone like a pro. I feel that as teachers it is our job to make sure that our students are technologically prepared for the real world. I love to see the interactive lessons that are taught on things such as smart boards. I will defiantly be using technology inside my classroom. I truly feel that technology allows the students to enjoy learning the materials that they are being taught. 

In the video A Vision of Students Today watching this in the mindset of an educator or a University Professor I feel that students are not interested in the old way of teaching where the teacher stands in front of the classroom and writes on a chalk board. The students spend the majority of there time talking on cell phones, sending text messages and reading Facebook or Twitter. I feel that college students are charged and outrageous price for textbooks that are not used.
 But, on the other hand I feel that if given too much access to technology in all classes it could cause the students too much distraction to actually focus on learning the materials rather than trying to play on Facebook while they are supposed to be focusing on the subject at hand. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melissa,

    The links in your post are great! Good job on that!

    It is great that you have decided to look up some cool apps that interest you! I will have to check that stuff out!


    Make sure you are using commas where they are appropriate. It is hard to read at times in your post when you don't use commas.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete