Saturday, March 24, 2012

Blog Post 8


How do we dream Part 1 By Richard E. Miller speaks about our ability to communicate instantly and the effects that it has on our lives. With such instant access it effects how we write and research. Were we work and publish. Richard Miller also reflects on the fact that it is now possible to collaborate using networking technology to compose using text and images, film and what ever you are able to find archived on the web. We are able to collect the threads of experience and weave them into coherent documents. Mr. Miller goes on the explain that this is an incremental change not a fundamental change.


Carly Pugh speaks in her blog post #12 about a wonderfully creative idea. Carly shows a nice example of  using network technology to compose, just like Richard Miller speaks about in his videos. Carly's post was upbeat and creative. Really grabs the attention of the reader. Excellent idea Carly!


The Chipper Series was a funny way to show what not to do/think in EDM 310. Chipper was a firm believer in procrastination (Which is defiantly not a great thing in this course.) Chipper also wanted to be taught so she doesn't have to learn. Dr. Strange has spoke on these subjects since day one of this course. This video made me smile. You should defiantly check it out!
EDM 310 for Dummies was a really neat video! I can completely agree with the women at the beginning of the video. At the beginning of this course I was really worried and scared of the work, wondering if I would be able to "teach" myself. But, so far so good! I have to work hard to make sure  I keep on track with my work.
In thinking about creating my own video for EDM 310 I would like to show people my computer skills before this class and then follow up with my skills after this course. I, in no way would consider myself to be a very technological person. This course has given me the confidence to realize that even though the computer may not be my strongest point, with diligence I can do anything that I put my mind to. My video would show me after all of my hard work has paid off! I will have great knowledge that I will take with me and use in my own classroom one day!

 While visiting Discovery Educations Web 20.11 site I was to do a "Scavenger Hunt" so to say and locate the following items:

List of Things to Find
1.) Locate a tool that is similar to Twitter/Facebook and provides a social platform for teachers,
parents, and students. Create an account as a Teacher and write a paragraph or two about how
you could use this site in your classroom. I chose Ning. Ning is similar to the social networks such a Facebook. It is not as popular as Facebook so I think it would be great to use in a classroom setting. You make your own "group" of people whom you will communicate. Since a lot of students may not have Ning, I think it will make it much easier to allow the children on Ning during class time that way they are not mixing there personal stuff with class work.It would allow the student to communicate with classmates and share ideas.

2.) Find a video tool that you have never used. Summarize some it's special features.After some research, I chose Smart Board Revolution. It is a site for teachers to share ideas, tips and lesson plans. I also really enjoyed the fact that it stated that nothing is to simple to share, since there are users of all levels on the site.It is awesome that you can "Swap" smart board" ideas and lesson plans. I think I will be using this a lot!

3.) Find a tool to create a poll anywhere and at anytime. Create your first poll and post it here. I chose Polls Everywhere. It is a really neat tool that can be used in the classroom and for personal use. I made a poll on which holiday is your favorite? Christmas or Easter? Check it out ...

Poll Everywhere

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa!
    I love that you have included links in your blog that refer back to the video, blog, or source that you are discussing. It really does help the reader understand the topics you are writing about. I noticed a few grammatical errors though. I first noticed that you wrote the wrote the word "defiantly" when I think you meant to write "definitely." Also, I saw that a typo where you wrote, " I, in no way would..." There should not be a comma after "I." Overall, it was a great post! I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one who was worried about this class!

    Keep up the hard work,
    Laura Ellenburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa,

    There were a few typos in your post, so you need to be sure to read back through what you've written out loud to catch those before you hit Publish.
    "Were we work and publish." I have no idea what word you meant for this fragment, but seeing as it's a fragment, it's wrong anyway.

    Also, when you do the source tags for the images you need to be sure to link to the actual source for the images, not Google. Google is only the search engine you used to find the pictures. If you click the images you should go to the website that hosts the pictures and that is the place you will credit in the title tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post and your thoughts on the different videos and blogs we were assigned to this past week. I like your idea of making a video about your technology knowledge and skills before and after the course. I think this a very creative idea for a project and would really show the value in what we have learned. The one thing that I noticed was that you had a few grammatical errors throughout the post. One example is in the last sentence of the first paragraph where you said, "Mr. Miller goes on the explain that." This sentence should have the word "to" rather than "the". Other than the few proofreading errors I noticed it was a good post overall. Keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of the course!

    Lindsey Edwards

    ReplyDelete