Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blog Post 10







Do you teach or Do you educate? is an awesome video that really gets the point across on the importance of not just "teaching" but Educating. "Education is not the filling of a vessel, but the kindling of a flame." is one of the key points that the video suggests. A teacher teaches, shows or explains how to do something or encourages someone to accept a fact or principle. To teach is also to cause someone to learn or understand something. An educator on the other hand illuminates, enlightens, inspires or enlightens. Also, gives intellectual, moral and social instruction. They are a mentor, a trusted and experienced adviser. Which one do you want to be? 

I want to educate. I want to show my students the way. I want to be the one kindling their flame. I became an education major because I love children. I can remember being in elementary school and really wanting to be a teacher one day. In having two children of my own (6 and 4) I really enjoy kids. I love being in the school environment. I also take great pride in working with children and watching them catch on to new concepts. This is an awesome video. Without a single word it speaks so loudly! Inspiring!

Tom Johnson's blog post Don't let them take pencils home was an interesting read. I feel like the overall idea of this post is to speak on the way they that teachers mask children s creativity. Teachers often time focus so much on test scores and not enough on what the children are actually learning. Mr. Johnson states that" "Children are learning even when we don't realize It." which is so very true. I am so tired of the usual testing that we have all become accustom to. All students are not test takers. I hate that children are constantly being judged on how well they do on a test! This was a wonderful blog post and I will most defiantly be adding this to my PLN.




2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    You did a very nice job writing this post. I really liked the Socrates quote they use at the end. I also liked your comment "Without a single word it speaks so loudly!" Sometimes the greatest message comes with complete silence. Just remember to proofread your posts before you submit them. There weren't many errors; mainly the misuse of commas, or a missed apostrophe. Also, I think Dr. Strange wanted a little more insight on Mr. Johnson's post. Although, what you wrote was very well put, there were several points you could've hit on. Other than that, this was a really good post! Keep up the good work!

    April C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa,

    I like your reasons for being an educator. I think that enjoying being around children is a good reason for wanting to go into the field of education.

    However, you seem to have missed the point of Tom Johnson's post. The pencils were metaphors for technology. April is also right in stating that we wanted you to write more about this.

    ReplyDelete