Saturday, April 21, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A


       Do schools in the United States systematically destroy (or inhibit) the development of curiosity and/or creativity in students? If yes, why does that happen? If no, how do you counter the argument of Sir Ken Robinson that schools do undermine the development of creativity in students? I feel that schools in the United States do kill curiosity and creativity in students.

Our teachers have to teach only what is required and what our students will be tested on. The teachers are assumed not to be good teachers if there students do not do acceptable on the required testing. The kids must learn, do and act exactly as the school system requires. So, with that being said YES our schools are destroying our student’s creativity and curiosity. Young children five or six years old are creative and curious to learn. By the time these children are in 5th grade they are usually not as curious or creative. They have had the curiosity and creativity taught right out of them. Kids are not being able to use their brain in order to be creative. They are simply memorizing facts.



    Can a curriculum be developed that increases the curiosity/creativity of students? If so, what would be the key components of such a curriculum? I feel that there could be a curriculum that increases curiosity /creativity in our students.


In my opinion these two topics (curiosity and creativity) go hand in hand. The schools are trying to cram in so much that our students hardly have the time to think straight. I really think that hands on activities and projects are a great idea. Teachers should be encouraging and excited/happy to let the children try out new things. Technology in the classroom is also a great way to get the students active in hands on lessons. 

 


Can a teacher's actions increase the curiosity/creativity of students? If so, what would be those actions?

Teachers can really make or break a Child's curiosity and creativity. Sometimes, I feel that teachers are so busy trying to squeeze in all that is required to be taught that things may go overlooked. Teachers should constantly be in search of ways to promote the curiosity and creativity of their students. 


  What would help you become more creative/curious? What role would teachers and/or schools have in that process?

 You can tell when a person is passionate about something. If my teacher is showing a great interest in a particular area in which we are studying, it always sticks with me and makes me want to find out more. I am a very hand on learner. I can remember the hands on things that I learned at school as a child much more that I can remember notes that I took and things that I memorized. 

1 comment:

  1. "... if there students do not do acceptable on the required testing." their instead of there - acceptably not acceptable.

    "...I am a very hand on learner." hands not hand.

    Proofread!

    ReplyDelete